Colonel Scott W. Lerdon is the Commander, 121st Air Refueling Wing (ARW), Ohio Air National Guard, located at Rickenbacker International Airport, Columbus, Ohio. The 121 ARW is comprised of over 1,200 personnel who operate and support air refueling, cargo transport, medical evacuation, engineering, communications, security, and weather missions across the globe.
Col Lerdon enlisted in the Ohio Air National Guard in 1988 where he served as a Crew Chief assigned to the 160th Air Refueling Group. After graduating from The Ohio State University in 1992 with a Bachelor of Science in Aviation Aircraft Systems and Accident Investigation, Col Lerdon was selected as a pilot and received his commission from the Air National Guard Academy of Military Science. He completed Undergraduate Pilot Training at Vance Air Force Base (AFB). Col Lerdon has deployed in support of Operations PROVIDE COMFORT, DENY FLIGHT, DECISIVE ENDEAVOUR, NOBLE EAGLE, NORTHERN WATCH, SOUTHERN WATCH, ENDURING FREEDOM, INHERENT RESOLVE, and FREEDOM’S SENTINEL. During these operations, he served in a variety of leadership roles involving multiple tours as both Director of Operations and Detachment Commander at Incirlik Air Base (AB), Turkey, Al Udeid AB, Qatar, Anderson AFB, Guam, and Vicenza AB, Italy. He has served in numerous staff positions, and has commanded at the flight, squadron, group and wing level. Col Lerdon is a Command Pilot with more than 3,900 hours of military flight time. Prior to his current position, the colonel was the Vice Commander of the 121st Air Refueling Wing, Ohio National Guard, Columbus, Ohio.
1996 Bachelor of Science, Aircraft Systems, The Ohio State University, Columbus
1993 Academy of Military Science, McGhee-Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
1994 Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base (AFB), Okla.
1994 KC-135R Pilot Initial Qualification Course, Castle AFB, Calif.
1995 STRATCOM STRATVIEW Course, Offutt AFB, Neb.
1996 KC-135R Aircraft Commander Upgrade Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
1998 Squadron Officer School, by correspondence
1998 KC-135R Certified Flight Instructor Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
2007 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2011 Mobility Commander’s Tactics Course, St. Joseph’s International Airport, Mo.
2016 Air War College, by correspondence
1. November 1988 - January 1993, Crew Chief, 160th Air Refueling Group, Rickenbacker Air National Guard Base (ANGB), Ohio
2. January 1993 - March 1993, Academy of Military Science, McGhee-Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
3. March 1993 - April 1994, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance Air Force Base, Okla.
4. April 1994 - February 2003, Evaluator Pilot, 166th Air Refueling Squadron, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
5. February 2003 - April 2005, Functional Check Flight Officer, 121st Maintenance Squadron, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
6. April 2005 - August 2011, Flight Commander, 166th Air Refueling Squadron, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
7. August 2011 - April 2017, Operations Officer, 166th Air Refueling Squadron, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
8. April 2017 - September 2017, Squadron Commander, 166th Air Refueling Squadron, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
9. September 2017 - October 2020, Commander, 121st Operations Group, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
10. November 2020 - January 2021, J-3 Deputy Director of Joint Operations, Ohio National Guard, Joint Force Headquarters, Columbus, Ohio
11. February 2021 - June 2021, Vice Commander, 121st Air Refueling Wing, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
12. June 201 - Present, Commander, 121st Air Refueling Wing, Rickenbacker ANGB, Ohio
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 4100
Aircraft flown: T-41, T-37, T-38, KC-135R/T
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award
Meritorious Unit Award
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with 3 oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with 4 oak leaf clusters
Humanitarian Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal with 2 oak leaf clusters
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with bronze star
National Guard Association of the United States, Member
Ohio National Guard Association, Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, Feb 11, 1993
First Lieutenant, Feb 21, 1995
Captain, Mar 12, 1997
Major, Mar 12, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel, Mar. 12, 2008
Colonel, Jun 28, 2018
(Current as of August 2021)