Col Clarence "Ken" Maynus is the Vice Commander, 121st Air Refueling Wing (ARW), Ohio Air National Guard, located at Rickenbacker International Airport, Columbus, Ohio. The 121 ARW is comprised of over 1,200 personnel who operate and support air refueling, cargo transport, medical evacuation, engineering, communications, security, and weather missions across the globe. Homeland Defense is a significant portion of 121 ARW’s mission as members of the Chemical, Biological, Radiological, Nuclear Enhanced (CBRNE) Response Force Package and the Fatality Search and Recovery Team. These elements provide an integral part of the National Guard’s Homeland Response Force (HRF). The HRF is assigned to Federal Emergency Management Agency Region V and allows the Department of Defense to quickly respond in the event of a catastrophic incident by providing the necessary life-saving capabilities to the area within hours of notification.
Col Maynus enlisted into active duty Air Force in 1986 and served as an aircraft propulsion specialist on multiple aircraft including the F-4RC, F-16, B-52, KC-135, and the C-130. In 1991, he joined the West Virginia Army National Guard as a Cavalry Scout. Col Maynus joined the West Virginia Air National Guard, 130th Airlift Wing, in 1996 and commissioned in September 2000 as a Logistics Readiness Officer. He has a decade of command time in a variety of positions including
Force Support Squadron Commander, Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Commander, and a Maintenance Operations Flight Commander. He served as Inspector General at the 130th Airlift Wing and 179th Airlift Wing, Mansfield, Ohio establishing highly effective Commander’s Inspection Programs. In addition, he served as one of the founding members of the Guard Inspector General Council providing Air Force Inspection System guidance to wings throughout FEMA Region III and served at the Air National Guard Readiness Center, A4M, as a C-130 Weapon Systems Manager. He has deployed three times as an Aircraft Maintenance Officer in support of Operations IRAQI FREEDOM AND ENDURING FREEDOM. Prior to his current position, Col Maynus served as the Deputy Maintenance Group Commander, at the 179th Airlift Wing, Mansfield, Ohio.
1996 Bachelor of Science, Industrial Engineering Technology, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, Ill. 1998 Bachelor of Science, Mathematics, Concord University, Athens, W. Va.
2000 Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn. 2004 Masters of Arts, Leadership Studies, Marshall University, Huntington, W. Va.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base (AFB), Montgomery, Ala. 2012 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
2016 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Montgomery, Ala.
2018 ANG Commanders Development Course, Andrews AFB, Md. 2018 Nuclear Commander’s Course, Scott AFB, Ill.
1. December 1986- March 1989, F-4 Aircraft Propulsion Specialist, 16th AMU, Shaw Air Force Base (AFB), S.C.
2. March 1989-March 1990, F-16 Aircraft Propulsion Specialist, 51st Fighter Wing, Osan Air Base, South Korea
3. March 1990-April 1991, KC-135 and B-52 Aircraft Propulsion Specialist, Eaker AFB, Ark.
4. July 1991-August 1993, Cavalry Scout, Troop C, 151 Calvary Regiment, Beckley, W. Va.
5. November 1996-July 2000, C-130 Aircraft Propulsion Specialist, 130th Airlift Wing, Charleston, W. Va.
6. September 2000-March 2001, Logistics Supply Officer, 130th Airlift Wing, Charleston, W. Va.
7. March 2001-December 2002, Maintenance Squadron Officer, 130th Airlift Wing, Charleston, W. Va.
8. December 2002-Sepember 2005, Maintenance Operations Flight Commander, 130th Airlift Wing, Charleston, W. Va.
9. September 2005-June 2010, Aircraft Maintenance Squadron Commander, 130th Airlift Wing, Charleston, W. Va.
10. June 2010-December 2013, Force Support Squadron Commander, 130th Airlift Wing, Charleston, W. Va.
11. December 2013-March 2017, Inspector General, 130th Airlift Wing, Charleston, W. Va.
12. March 2017-April 2018, Deputy Maintenance Group Commander, 179th Airlift Wing, Mansfield, Ohio
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four bronze oak leaf clusters Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two bronze oak leaf clusters AF Outstanding Unit Award with V device for Valor
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with five bronze oak leaf clusters National Defense Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal AF Overseas Ribbon Short with device
AF Expeditionary Service Ribbon with Gold Border with two oak leaf clusters Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon (Rifle)
West Virginia Distinguished Unit Award
West Virginia Service Ribbon with two oak leaf clusters West Virginia State Service Ribbon
Ohio Award of Merit
Louisiana Emergency Service Medal
National Guard Association of the United States, Member Ohio National Guard Association, Member
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, Sep. 1, 2000
First Lieutenant, Sep. 1, 2002
Captain, Sep. 1, 2004
Major, Sep. 2, 2008
Lieutenant Colonel, Nov. 7, 2012
Colonel, June 28, 2018
(Current as of Aug 2020)